Thursday, April 10, 2014

True Story of Being Disfellowshipped by the Jehovah's Witnesses

I grew-up in McDonough, GA, a family of four boys and my parents. Growing-up, I never saw myself as different from anyone else, but in all reality I was quite different. My family were Jehovah’s Witnesses, which determined how we lived our lives.

As a young man, I was known as the stalwart one. Everyone in the congregation would tell their children, “Look at Clint, he’s a great example for you.” I was an obedient kid. I studied hard looking for truth and lived a good life. I stayed away from drugs, alcohol, smoking, girls, etc. – keeping in line with my faith. I was an early morning witness, doing fieldwork, and even speaking to thousands of people about the church. During my adolescent years I volunteered close to seventy hours a month.

While serving on a mission in North Dakota, I learned of the tragedy that struck the Twin Towers on September 11, 2001. I think a lot of people, including myself, started to re-examine their faith after 9-11. The effects of 9-11 were felt everywhere in the country, but I believe they had a strong impact on my life and the lives of other Jehovah Witnesses. As members, we saw the tragedy of 9-11 as a sign of the coming Armageddon, where there would be a final collapse of the "system" after a time of upheaval called the great tribulation.

Overwhelmed with guilt after being intimate with a girl I liked, I called my brother Ashley who came to North Dakota to get me, and together we returned home to GA. It's considered a sin to have sex out of marriage. After returning home to Georgia, I met another girl who I really liked and wanted a relationship with, we were intimate and again the guilt overtook me, so I confessed to the elders at my congregation. After confessing to the elders, they had a two-week deliberation period to decide my standing in the church and they decided to Disfellowship me.

Telling my parents that I had been disfellowshipped was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. I think I can say I was more sad than I was nervous, knowing that I had disappointed my parents and my family. It’s important for non-Jehovah Witnesses to understand that once you are disfellowshipped, you can no longer spend quality time with family or friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses. There are no dinners together, no family outings, etc.; I would forever be shunned by them.

Thinking back on the experience, I remember feeling numb as my mom cried and called me selfish. There wasn’t anything I could say or do to help the situation. You have to remember that I had been the “good kid.” I was the one they were so proud of, and now I had disappointed them beyond even what I could conceive. Adding to their shame, when someone is disfellowshipped, it is announced to the entire congregation during the service.

After I was disfellowshipped, I somewhat spiraled out of control. I was so confused that I didn’t know what to believe anymore. I started researching not only my own religion, but other religions as well, learning as much as I could about life and spirituality. As I studied, I came to realize that all doctrines aren’t black and white, which is what I had been told my whole life. I began to see that there are many gray areas and many churches see doctrines differently. I started a
Youtube channel where I discuss various Jehovah's Witness doctrine and other topics. This is one way that I try to cope and heal from my experience and the loss of my family and lifelong friends

- Clint Bussey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *